During the summer rented a large garden plot at my husband’s work. We grew tons of different vegetables and sadly, not a lot of them did very well. I can thank the deer, squash bugs, and other pests for destroying our crops. But for some reason our butternut squash plant did really awesome. I’ve had a couple butternut squashes I needed to use up so I was doing some research online on butternut squash recipes and found this Healthy Butternut Squash Lasagna recipe, it looked really good. I made it but made a few changes to it and this is my one and only lasagna recipe because the butternut squash gives it a nice subtle sweet flavor.
The Most Amazing Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
- 2 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash $
- 1 jar of no sugar added spaghetti sauce
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles (such as Barilla)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add meat and onion; cook until cooked through about 7 minutes. Add spinach; sauté 1 1/2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Combine provolone, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, and ricotta cheeses in a large bowl.
- Place squash in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on high 5 minutes or until tender. Mis with mixer squash to make it smooth. I added salt, pepper, and chicken stock to give it some flavor.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti squash in the bottom of one prepared dish. Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups squash over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over squash.
- Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over the noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups onion mixture over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over spinach mixture.
- Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup Smoky Marinara evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients in remaining pan. Cover each pan with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked lasagna: Prepare through Step 6. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked lasagna: Thaw completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 375º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover lasagna with reserved foil; bake at 375º for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until bubbly.